Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Hail Damage

In February, I did a few posts on the storms that came through the Nashville area.  In one of them, I mentioned that the wind had been so strong that we lost over 100 roof shingles.  A few days later, I posted a photo of the large pieces of hail that hit our neighborhood.  (Click here to see the hail.)

What I didn't know at the time was that the hail can do some pretty hefty damage to roofs.  Our neighborhood, as a matter of fact, was so hard hit by the hail that it was officially declared (by whom I don't really know) a "disaster."  The majority of the homes in the neighborhood qualified for roof replacement due to the hail damage.  And, because our weather has been so unpredictable, roofers are *still* working on re-roofing homes here.

I took this photo yesterday, and when I started to take it, a guy was standing on the highest part of the roof.  Unfortunately, I guess he saw me and slid out of sight.  Note how steep the roof is.   It's worse in the back because this home sits on a yard that slopes down in the back.  The horizontal boards on the garage portion are for footing in case the workers start to slide.  You wouldn't catch me up there!

So, have you ever been on a roof?

13 comments:

smilnsigh said...

Yikes. I don't want to keep looking at that photo. Yikes. Needless to say, I have not been on a roof!

Mari-Nanci
Photos-City-Mine

alice said...

I have nearly had to do it when I was a student: my cat was used to jump on the roof in front of my window when I opened this one...But I've always persuaded him to come in again by shaking a box of croquettes!

Knoxville Girl said...

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog yesterday. I know what you mean about hail - it damaged the roof of my previous home many years ago; I remember walking the roof to inspect it (it's not as steep as the roof in your picture). That was the same storm that put a baseball-sized hailstone through the windshield of my truck! I said some very. bad. words.

Brittany Kalaj Margulieux said...

Wow, that's crazy!

Clueless in Boston said...

I haven't been on a roof since I was about 11 yrs. old and have no intentions of breaking that streak. As I get older my dislike of heights increases. Some things are best left to professionals, and roofing certainly qualifies as one of them.

crittoria said...

Not a chance! I'm way too afraid of heights, although my husband insists I'm not "afraid of heights", I'm afraid of falling. Either way, I leave the roof work to someone else!!

Steve Buser said...

We were on many roofs after hurricane Rita in Beaumont, Texas -- putting on blue tarps. When we hopped on the last one, it seemed to sway. That was why it was the last one.

Jim Klenke said...

We tried to put up Christmas lights around our roof one year by getting onto the roof. That was the last time we did that...scary.

Mo said...

Back in the days before oh, I guess you would call it common sense we used to climb the ladder and go to "tar beach" for a better tan. Oh yeah we also used baby oil for that rich Saint Tropez oops I mean NY tan. :)

Ming the Merciless said...

NO, I haven't been on a roof, not since I was a kid.

Now I live on the 4th floor of a 6 floor apartment building. The roof access is restricted due to security reasons.

Scary hail!!

Anonymous said...

It must have been extra large hail stones to do this kind of damage. Wow. It would make short work of my skylights.

Halcyon said...

I used to sit on the overhang outside my window on my parent's house when I was a teenager. I don't know if that really counts as being on the roof.

Is this your house or just a neighbors? Hope the work gets done soon, it looks like more bad weather is on the way today.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, hail can really cause great damages!