Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Construction City: Rolling Mill Hill

I thought that since I started a construction thread yesterday, I would continue by showing you a number of the projects going on around Nashville right now.

The photo above is of the Rolling Mill Hill development which is in an area of Nashville called SoBro.  SoBro is comprised of the area that is south of Broadway, the main street in downtown Nashville.

Once home to Metro General Hospital (above) which was built in 1890 and the city's trolley barns (not shown), Rolling Mill Hill is now developing into a mix-used community that will include residences, businesses. greenways and streetscapes.  Available homes will include lofts, townhomes and flats, and most will have views of the Cumberland River or downtown Nashville.  While some of the existing buildings are being converted to living spaces, there are plans for new towers, also.

The unique part of this 34-acre planned community is that it is a collaborative effort between the Nashville Metropolitan Development Authority and select developers.  For more information, click here or here (This is the Metro Government site which has great aerial views.)

You have your choice:  View of the river or view of downtown?

10 comments:

Denton said...

Love the size of the windows. They imply some very large spaces inside ... In Charleston there is a restaurant named SNOB which stands for slightly north of broad (smile).

Anonymous said...

Seems to me it will be a great building... river view, please!

Knoxville Girl said...

I'm glad they are preserving this - what an interesting building. As to view, I think that would depend on the view to my bank account.=:-O

Jim Klenke said...

Look like its going to be a neat development. I will take the river.

brian stout said...

it does look like it's going to be neat... i'm just tired of having to drive around all the construction happening around here in rush hour...

Halcyon said...

Neat. Although SoBro just doesn't have the ring that SoHo does!

raf said...

I need to see water, river side please. Wow, Nashville is poppin' with construction.

Lynette said...

Denton is right, the windows are splendid. I'd have to take the river view. And here in Portland, I'd want to be near a bridge or two so I could watch them open up for river traffic. Please keep up with the construction series, Chris.

Anonymous said...

I suppose it will be occupied one day by artists of all kinds.

Ming the Merciless said...

It depends on how busy the neighborhood is and how many amenities are available in the area.

But if all else being equal, river view it is for me.