Friday, May 23, 2008

Construction City #5- Werthan Lofts

Located in the Germantown area north of downtown Nashville, the Werthan Lofts are located in the 100+-year old Werthan Mills factory.  A $30-million project, the lofts have 20-foot ceilings, exposed brick walls, and refinished hardwood floors original to the mill.  A mere five or six years ago, the place was a rundown building a few blocks away from Bicentennial Mall.  The development is in its fourth phase now, and future plans include more green space, a bocce ball court, and an outdoor stage with seating for more than 250 people.  Lofts on the south side of the building have a great view of the downtown skyline.

One of my former customers and her husband purchased one of the original released lofts a few years ago, and from what she told me, they bought an open space and then had a lot of say as to how the floorplan was finished.

Werthan Mills, by the way, was a burlap bag mill.  The Werthan Mill building opened in 1872.

To get a look at the Werthan Loft development, click here.

Tomorrow:  New lofts in Germantown.

I would love to live in a refurbished building.  Would you?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is being done all over I guess as it is beginning here too.

If I don't get back to see you again before the weekend, I will wish you a "Happy Decoration Day" weekend. Alas, now called 'Memorial Day' weekend here in the states; and, better known for the Indianapolis 500 race than for decorating the graves of the dead.

Jim Klenke said...

I would like to have a loft in the city. But I would want to also have a place in the country to escape. We know thats never going to happen.

Halcyon said...

I wish I lived in a place that actually had a downtown! I think living in a loft would be really cool.

Denton said...

We have several mills refurbished into lofts and they have all been successful ... However we chose new construction for our condo purchase ... I have to admit I'm envious of the 20 foot ceilings.

Chris, I have been busy working on a new version of the Daily Photo Map. Please drop by and let me know what you think. If you are interested in participating click on the show sidebar link and follow the directions to join ... Thanks.

Denton said...

Chris, thanks for registering at the Daily Photo Map. A thumbnail of your latest photo now appears on the map.

Andrea said...

That is interesting turning them into lofts. I myself am a country girl though so I will stay where I am at.

moviemaker said...

Hi
We recently stayed at Best Western music row. Opposite the hotel, right next to the 'tin hat', they are constructing some apartments.

We were amazed how quickly this building seemed to go up. Anychance of some photo's to show what it looks like now.
Best wishes from England!

moviemaker said...

Sorry, I meant 'tin roof' not tin hat

Lynette said...

I thought when I read the info at this post that I had heard that name, Werthan, before, but where? Then I thought, isn't that the last name of Jessica Tandy, Patti LuPone, and Dan Ackroyd's characters in "Driving Miss Daisy"? Yep, I checked Internet Movie Database, and there it was. Neat to see this "real" Werthan Mills. Thanks.

And I adore today's photo of your store helpers--they look so studious in their eyeglasses.