Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sheep Thrills


While we walked through the Sheep Barn at the State Fair the other day, we saw these guys shearing a sheep in preparation for that evening's competition.  Instead of using electric shavers, they did it by hand using shears (above).

There were a lot of other sheep already sheared when we walked through, including the guy below.  The shorn sheep wear hoodies to protect their coat until they go into the ring.  If you look closely at two sheep, you'll notice that the one above has a white face and body while the one below has a black face and white body.  I noticed two or three other breeds of different colors/sizes while we were in the barn.


5 comments:

Jilly said...

I thought dog and cat show people were mad! And I was one of them. Great photos, Chris, really showing us how it all works. What dedication these breeders show.

Somayeh said...

your picture is so intresting

Janet said...

Neat! There used to be some sheep in the area where I grew up, but there were no sheep shearers, so shearers from Iowa came down every Spring to do the job.

Halcyon said...

I just love me a cute little sheepie. I am partial to the black head variety - just like Shawn from Wallace & Grommit.

Knoxville Girl said...

I didn't know they made slipcovers for sheep!