Friday, February 1, 2008

Theme Day: When People Think of Nashville, They Think of


This town is about music.
It's about the kind of music I like.
~ Otis Blackwell

And, when people think of Nashville, they think of country music!

I find that when I tell people I live in Nashville, the first thing they mention is country music. Most people think that's the only music played on radio stations or in clubs.

But, as much as Nashville is the homestead for country music, we are also home to other kinds of music. I read somewhere recently that only LA tops Nashville in the number of music recordings of all kinds made annually. All kinds of music are popular here, not just country. Nashville isn't called MUSIC CITY for nothing!!


The photo of the mural showing legendary country music stars is from the window of the Legends Bar on Broadway in downtown Nashville. (For more information on Legends, check out my earlier post about Legends here.) How many of the stars do you recognize?


There are over 100 other blogs participating in today's Theme Day. Be sure to check them out:

Portland (OR), USA - Menton, France - Monte Carlo, Monaco - Memphis (Tennessee), USA - Manila, Philippines - San Diego (CA), USA - Anderson (SC), USA - New York City (NY), USA - San Diego (CA), USA - Mexico City, Mexico - San Francisco (CA), USA - Mumbai (Maharashtra), India - Mainz, Germany - Weston (FL), USA - Minneapolis (MN), USA - Turin, Italy - Las Vegas (NV), USA - Hobart (Tasmania), Australia - Bicheno, Australia - Durban, South Africa - Joplin (MO), USA - Nashville (TN), USA - Stockholm, Sweden - Kyoto, Japan - Tokyo, Japan - Brussels, Belgium - Chicago (IL), USA - Montpellier, France - Seattle (WA), USA - Mazatlan, Mexico - Saint Paul (MN), USA - Sharon (CT), USA - Sesimbra, Portugal - Toulouse, France - Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina - Susanville (CA), USA - Maple Ridge (BC), Canada - Saint Louis (MO), USA - Prague, Czech Republic - Helsinki, Finland - Pilisvörösvár, Hungary - Lisbon, Portugal - Mexico (DF), Mexico - Trujillo, Peru - Dunedin (FL), USA - Albuquerque (NM), USA - Port Angeles (WA), USA - Cottage Grove (MN), USA - Saint-Petersburg, Russian Federation - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - London, UK - Baziège, France - Jefferson City (MO), USA - Greenville (SC), USA - Selma (AL), USA - Mumbai, India - Naples (FL), USA - Norwich (Norfolk), UK - Silver Spring (MD), USA - Setúbal, Portugal - Stayton (OR), USA - Bellefonte (PA), USA - Sofia, Bulgaria - Arradon, France - Montego Bay, Jamaica - Athens, Greece - Austin (TX), USA - Singapore, Singapore - West Sacramento (CA), USA - Jackson (MS), USA - Wassenaar (ZH), Netherlands - Budapest, Hungary - Rotterdam, Netherlands - St Malo, France - Chandler (AZ), USA - Melbourne, Australia - Port Vila, Vanuatu - Cleveland (OH), USA - Nottingham, UK - Kansas City (MO), USA - The Hague, Netherlands - Crystal Lake (IL), USA - Wrocław, Poland - Chateaubriant, France - Cheltenham, UK - Moscow, Russia - Monrovia (CA), USA - Saigon, Vietnam - Toruń, Poland - Grenoble, France - Lisbon, Portugal - New Orleans (LA), USA - Sydney, Australia - Boston (MA), USA - American Fork (UT), USA - Boston (MA), USA - Montréal (QC), Canada - Wichita (KS), USA - Radonvilliers, France - Buenos Aires, Argentina - Christchurch, New Zealand - Rabaul, Papua New Guinea - Wailea (HI), USA - Aliso Viejo (CA), USA - St Francis, South Africa - Port Elizabeth, South Africa - Seattle (WA), USA - Pasadena (CA), USA - Vienna, Austria - Orlando (FL), USA - Torun, Poland - Delta (CO), USA - Santa Fe (NM), USA - Minneapolis (MN), USA - Haninge, Sweden - Paris, France - Stavanger, Norway - Niamey, Niger - Le Guilvinec, France - Bogor, Indonesia - Saarbrücken, Germany - Auckland, New Zealand - Wellington, New Zealand - Budapest, Hungary - Juneau (AK), USA - Bucaramanga (Santander), Colombia - Glasgow, Scotland - Chicago (IL), USA - Jakarta, Indonesia - Adelaide (SA), Australia - Sydney, Australia - Riga, Latvia - Subang Jaya (Selangor), Malaysia - Terrell (TX), USA - Terrell (TX), USA - Inverness (IL), USA

30 comments:

Sally said...

Well, I think of BOTH kinds of music ... country AND western (apologies to the Blues Brothers ;-)

R&R said...

Cue the slide guitar ... nice post!

Jilly said...

Music! Of course. Nice one Chris.

Gerald (SK14) said...

when I used to music reviews I got sent stuff from a pianist/song writer called Nyle Frank. Definitely not C&W - is he still around do you know?

Ham said...

Yes - music, pedal steel, dobro. What's more, country music is quite good if you listen to it properly. But the titles can be the best "Drop kick me Jesus through the goalposts of heaven" is one of my favourites, but all time great has to be "I've been lonesome in the saddle since my horse has gone"

quintarantino said...

Muito bonito. Nashville ... gostaria de conhecer.
(Não veio nada no email...)

Anonymous said...

I guess the world would not be the same without the Midwestern Hayride. We used to watch that a lot. Nice post today.

Jim Klenke said...

great pic of the mural. I am going to have to come back after work and try to ID everyone in there. I see Dolly. LOL.

isa said...

I'm not a country music fan, but I recognize almost everyone there! I have to get a life ;-)

Nice choice, Chris!

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

Yes, Rita Coolidge always comes to mind. :)

Janet said...

I'm a country music fan myself. My hubby introduced me to it when we were dating. He's turn the radio channel to the Grand Ole Opry on weekend nights.

Felicia said...

Great photo depicting the theme! I'm not much of a country music fan, but I do recognize Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. :)

Chuck Pefley said...

A music capitol for sure. Very cool mural you found for today's theme photo.

Southern Heart said...

Perfection! That is definitely what comes to mind first for most people, I think.

For my family, I think it is Christmas at the Opryland Hotel and Franklin, and summer visits watching AAA baseball.

Unknown said...

Great picture. I was expecting a picture of the Grand Ol' Opry, but this is great.

Jackie (Glasgow DP)

Denton said...

That would be a great scene with all those stars in one place ... Like everyone else my first thought is music but now my second thought is that is where Chris post her photos from.

kuanyin333 said...

Yes, I think of country music alright. You've put together a great post with an original photo.

Chris said...

I've actually only been to the Opry once since moving here, although I've attended other functions there. When most people think of the Opry, they think of the Ryman, but the Opry complex is on the grounds of the Opryland Hotel now and is a pretty bland building.

Kim said...

That's a really perfect shot to feature for our theme day. I've heard of that bar, and I'm glad to see you didn't show the Ryman Auditorium because this is more interesting. When I think of Nashville, I think of guitars and recording studios and all my friends that have moved there to work or passed through there to record. It's way more than country music, but that's the main river, with lots of tributaries. Hey, is Emylou in that mural? ;^)
-Kim
Seattle Daily Photo

Joy said...

That's right! I do like some country music.

Happy Theme Day!

joy
A Pinay In England
The Goddess In You
Norwich Daily Photo

Neva said...

I think of the Grand Ole Opry~~~nice post!

Ben Nakagawa said...

That is the first thing come to my mind.

lv2scpbk said...

I have to agree, when I think of TN, I think of music and Dolly Pardon.

Annie said...

I do think of Country music. And after reading your blog, I totally want to visit Nashville. What a fun place!

 gmirage said...

Yes indeed! I am also a fan of country music, I'm sure I'd enjoy a visit to your city! Thank you!

Joao Augusto Aldeia said...

I know and love some of the musicians and singers of this painting: Lewis, Berry, Orbison, Charles, Cash (I hope I am not wrong). Great image, great choice!

Deanna said...

OOOOh the Ryman.
I got to hear Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder this summer at the Ryman.
LOVED every minute of it!!!
Can't wait to get back to Nashville.

The campus of Vanderbilt University is beautiful!

Chris said...

Vanderbilt is a beautiful campus, indeed. I plan to do series on it in the spring.

Ming the Merciless said...

Country music! Of course!

I HEART country music.

I've been listening to Reba's new album lately.

Kate said...

Chris, Forgive me! I didn't get around much on Theme Day but I still want to visit and send my regards. I can't think of a better theme for your city. Well-done!