Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Little Crema With My Coffee


Rachel Lehman officially opened Crema last month (Jan., 2008). A nice-size, Crema has the bar (above) with a few seats (They're right in front of the guy who's talking with Rachel.), a few comfy chairs (to the left of where I'm standing), and a few tables and chairs (behind me in front of the window). Crema is currently hosting a display of artwork by Aaron Grayum (Click here to see some of his work.), a Nashville artist.

What I found interesting about Crema is that Rachel, who has spent 10 years in the coffee business, is only 25 years old. Her great-grandfather immigrated from Italy and passed his love for wine, good food and coffee down through the generations.

The other thing that I find great is that Rachel and Ben (her husband) tried to use recycled materials in building Crema. The counter shown above is renewable bamboo, and holding it up are recycled doors (right). Whenever possible, they bought stuff from the local Habitat for Humanity store. They're also using green lighting and trying to recycle (not something done by the metro trash pick-up).

While Crema is all about coffee, they do offer a few pastry options - cookies, scones, etc. - although they get them from a local bakery.

Having owned an independent store, I know how much work and love go into a place like this. And, with franchises competing for business, survival can be hard. But, I think that Crema offers great coffee (It was the best latte I've ever had.), good service, and a comfortable place. I think they'll do fine.

9 comments:

FĂ©nix - Bostonscapes said...

That's a great place, yes. Lots of fun, too (love those coffee bean bags and that knob down there!) :)

Janet said...

I love the little independent shops. Wish I could taste their coffee.

Southern Heart said...

What a nice story and photo. They seem like they've put a lot of effort and thought into their business, and I wish them well (we'll have to try it when we visit in the future...younger DS loves a good coffee!).

brian stout said...

nice story and post today... it looks like a nice place to stop for coffee...

quintarantino said...

That seems to be a great place. Since you already have been in Portugal, I guess you already know portuguese just love their coffee.
Small cups for black coffee.
And italians are also known to know their coffee.

Se quiseres, vem ver a minha primeira tulipa do ano.

Anonymous said...

Well, I must say, Chris, that this is one of your best, so far, posts I have read. I enjoyed it and even looked at the artist's work. I wish Rachel lot of luck in her new business.

I think the right number of words just dress up the photos.

My wife Patty and I were in business for a number of years and still reap some profits from those years in the 1970s. It was worth the effort. People we met then have dropped off the maps. Isn't that odd.

Jim Klenke said...

The place looks great, and neat how they are having fun with going green.

Felicia said...

It is so nice to see green businesses. As customers, we have to really support the independents so that they'll be able to stay in business! Best wishes to Rachel.

Ming the Merciless said...

I love independent coffee houses. I try to visit them as often as possible.