Sunday, September 2, 2007

White Trash Cafe


On Friday morning, I had to judge paper arts exhibits at the Tennessee State Fair, and as I left the fairgrounds, I saw the White Trash Cafe. A cinder block building just outside the fair's west gate, the White Trash Cafe is a lunch-only meat and three. From what I understand, the inside is full of knicknacks and kitschy "art," some of which patrons bring in to add to the decorating. I don't know anything about the food as I've never eaten there, but I do know that they offer country cooking and that the entrees change daily.

If you don't know what a "meat and three" is, don't feel bad! Before we moved to Nashville in the late 90s, I had not heard the term. You can probably guess that it is an entree and three sides or vegetables. Usually, the choices include mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, pinto beans, turnip greens, macaroni and cheese, and any other side the restaurant wants to offer. The typical meat and three always serves either biscuits or cornbread (southern style, which is NOT sweet!), and iced tea (southern style, which is VERY SWEET, unless you ask for "unsweet").

10 comments:

Lavenderlady said...

Now this I had not heard of...learn something new everyday.

Anonymous said...

I laughed when I saw the name on the restaurant and I guess calling it a "restaurant" would be a step up. Clint Eastwood had a restaurant in California for a time and called it, "The Hog's Breath."

Nice shot and interesting post. I hope you get to see my Ruby-throated Hummer today.

Lynette said...

Meat and thre--sounds like heaven to me, a transplanted Mississippian! Love the name of that place; I really hope the food holds up so that it lives a long life.

WichitaKsDailyPhoto said...

What's in a name? Well, trash is in this restraurant's name, and while it's funny, I think it would make me think twice about going inside. They probably serve great meals. I can just imagine the jukebox playing "WELLLLL, I like my cookin' just a little on the trashy side... "

Dina said...

That's a name i never heard for a coffee shop. Glad you made it to my blog, will be showing more areas and houses.

Neva said...

I would be in there so fast to have a meal just to say I'd eaten with "white trash"....lol very cute photo.... and I had never heard of meat and 3.....what a hoot...

isa said...

I think some of my best friends eaten there ;-)

Three cheers for the rescued puppies everywhere!

lv2scpbk said...

I didn't know what it was but glad I do now.

Anonymous said...

We ate there this weekend! Food was good and the people were great! It was a great way to start our weekend getaway in Nashville! We will be back!

mn3guy said...

Chris,

Glad to see another photo of a meat and three out there. I like "meat-and-threes" so much, I created a site about them (http://www.meatandthree.com).

Earlier this year, I did a photo tour of the ones in Middle Tennessee, which is accessible on the site. You may be interested to see all the meat and three restaurants that are out there, via either the directory or in the Photo Tour.

It's great to see that so many new folks are learning about the "meat and three" concept.

Keep up the great work!

Phil Roberson (mn3guy)