Sunday, September 30, 2007

TACA Arts & Crafts Fair


This weekend is the Annual Fall TACA (Tennessee Association of Craft Artisans) Fair in Centennial Park. Artists from around the country apply to show and sell their artwork at the two TACA fairs every year. The items sold at the TACA shows include everything from weaving, stone, wood and metal sculpture to jewelry, ceramics, photography and mixed media. In addition, TACA has a tent where visitors can watch artisans at work and learn about different crafts as well as a tent where kids can try their hand at art. And, no fair of any kind would be complete without the requisite food booths. . .fudge (Pumpkin fudge was on the tasting menu today.), kettle korn, gyros, lemonade, sausage, funnel cakes, and more. . . .(Luckily, I don't do white sugar, so I'm not too tempted!)

Since 1965, TACA has encouraged and promoted all types of crafts in the state. TACA is not a state agency and depends solely on support from donors and volunteers.

As I noted above, TACA holds two fairs a year, in the autumn and in the spring. The SE Bureau of Tourism has consistently ranked the fairs in the top 20 things to do in the southeastern USA.

I should note that the fairs are usually packed with people. The reason it looks so quiet above is that I happened by about an hour before the fair opened.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

That's very interesting! I don't think I've ever been to a fair with artists from around the country. What a great event.

TORUŃ DAILY PHOTO said...

Looks like a fun fair...and the weather looks good too! Greetings from Toruń DP here in Poland!

Chris said...

It is a very nice art fair. I've seen it grow and evolve over the years that I've lived in Nashville.

quintarantino said...

Seems to be a great event. And artist always need this kind of help in order to show their skills.

Gwen said...

Hi Chris,
Looks like a nice fair, I like looking at crafts... and watching artisans work...I didn't change the look of my blog, but I might include different things besides historical, etc.