Tuesday, September 11, 2007

How Many Pies?

County fairs started as a gathering place for people to show and sell produce and livestock as well as other products. The entertainment venues provided a respite from the work of the day. Today's fairs are still a place for people to showcase not only produce and livestock, but also creative arts. Highlights vary from fair to fair depending a lot on local crops and livestock.

While we were looking at produce, we noticed these huge pumpkins. I overheard a mother ask her child how many pies he thought she could make with that pumpkin. He guessed about 5. She said about 30. What do you think?

The winning pumpkin weighs 1065.5 pounds, which is not bad considering the horrible weather we've had this year. The second heaviest was still over 1000 pounds.

On a different note: Today is the 6th anniversary of the 9-11 tragedy. Let us never forget those who died, those who lost someone, those who were affected in any way, and those who helped in the rescue and or recovery efforts. God bless America.

PLEASE NOTE: I am on vacation for a few weeks, so my posting times may be a little off. Sorry!





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our county fair also had these and the largest was under 500 pounds and I guess that is due to the drought we have had here for three months.

It has been broken and for that we are thankful to get some rain.

FĂ©nix - Bostonscapes said...

1,000 lb minus, say, 30% refuse, that's a lot of pumpkin puree. I'd say more like 400 pies!

Denton said...

I was looking at family photos recently and found one of myself and the pig I had in competition at the county fair. I was about 14 at the time so it was roughly 40 years ago.