Monday, September 10, 2007

Vomit Comet




I thought that the ride I showed yesterday was bad until we stopped to watch this one. Just watching it and listening to the screams over that blaring music made me nauseous! Please allow me to try to describe this ride's tortuous "fun."


When the ride is at rest, the long arm is parallel to the ground, as are the six "spokes" off of that center "wheel." There are four seats hanging from the end of each spoke, two facing forward, and two facing backward. As the ride starts, the spokes start spinning, and the four seats spin with it. The arm then starts to move into a vertical position - while the the wheel and spokes are spinning - and the seats twist and turn with the movement. At times, the riders are completely upside down and spinning. This is *not* a ride for the weak of heart or stomach (or for me!).

We didn't see anyone who seemed to be over the age of 18 on this ride or in line for it (and the line was long!). Oh, the wisdom of age!

By the way, one had to pay $5 (four tickets at $1.25/ticket) for this stomach-turner.

To view photos from a fair in Pennsylvania, go to: http://discoverpa.blogspot.com

5 comments:

lv2scpbk said...

Thanks Chris for the link. Another nice shot. I need a new camera to do what your doing in your photos. I'm hoping to get one this year.

Annie said...

And me, I just don't have the trust necessary to talk myself into getting on one of these rides. And I fear letting children on them although they beg and beg.

A look at the carnival workers doesn't inspire confidence and the speed and trajectories of the turning don't either.

Janet said...

These rides are not for me either. You've got a beautiful kaleidoscope of colors there, though.

Anonymous said...

That is one thing I gave up when I got to the county fair. The last ride I rode was the Merry Go Round and I must have been about 9 or 10. My mother watched. I think it was less than a quarter to ride.

Unknown said...

Try it at least once in your life time! :-)

Or wait till there's no young ones queuing, sneak up. hehe...