Thursday, January 24, 2008

Welcome to the (Frosty) World


Our house backs up to a pasture, and the "girls" hang out back there quite often. Having lived in this house for 12 years, I have been fortunate to witness hundreds of the cows giving birth. Not too long ago, I happened to be looking out of the window when the calf in the photo above dropped. I ran for the camera and was able to catch "mom" immediately after she stood up and faced her baby for the first time. My understanding is that the mom licks and smells the calf so that she can identify her calf from the others in the field.

Tomorrow I'll show you the first steps.

Note: I did take this photo through a window.

6 comments:

Jilly said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, too gorgeous. Lovely photo of a special moment.

quintarantino said...

Special moment and quite an unique photo taken through a window!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is a process, they must go through. I like your photo for a lot of reasons besides that. It is excellent.

Kate said...

Lucky you to see this process!

Ming the Merciless said...

Oh, what an amazing photo.

Jim Klenke said...

cute pic