Sunday, November 11, 2007

Courage, Conviction, Honor

In honor of Veteran's Day, I wanted to post a photo of part of the World War II Memorial at Bicentennial Mall in Nashville. The memorial pays tribute to the more than 5,600 Tennesseans killed during "The Great War." Included are seven benches honoring the seven Tennesseans who won the Medal of Honor and the large, granite displays (above) inscribed with information about the war and battles during the war. I n addition, the 18,000-pound granite globe that floats on water indicates all of the places in the world that Tennesseans fought during the war. (I showed one view of the globe on 10-29. Another is right.)

Many thanks to the men and women who fought - and continue to fight - to preserve our freedom.

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. "

~ John Fitzgerald Kennedy

8 comments:

Denton said...

Your quote by JFK is very true ... I especially like the idea of a globe floating on water.

Felicia said...

Great post and a very striking monument too. PS: About the Mexican food place in San Diego, I put a link to the restaurant where you can find the address and the full menu.

Anonymous said...

Great post, I'll be featuring our Remembrance Day most of next week.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic quote. One to ponder...

Your picture of frost yesterday was gorgeous.

TORUĊƒ DAILY PHOTO said...

My oh my...the 11th November sure is a BUSY day around the world. Vetaran's Day in the USA, Remembrance Day in the UK and Independence Day here in Poland!!

Janet said...

Wonderful monuments to our veterans! Thanks for your comment on Selma, Ala. Daily Photo. I noticed it was warmer in north Ala. the other night and even a bit colder to our southeast.

quintarantino said...

A Nation that is proud of it´s veterans has a brighter futur ahead of her... that´s what I think..

NorthBayPhoto said...

Very moving. Great post.

Thanks for visiting my NorthBayPhoto blog.