Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Speaking of Rivers


Since I showed you the "geysers" representing the rivers of Tennessee yesterday, I thought I would show you a real river today, as well as a bridge that spans her. I was lucky enough to take a boat ride down the Cumberland River a few weeks ago, and we passed under the Korean War Veterans Memorial Bridge (Try saying that without taking a breath!), formerly called the Gateway Bridge. Completed in 2004, this bridge replaced the historic Shelby Street Bridge and is the link between East Nashville and the downtown area (which sits on the west bank of the river). The Shelby Street Bridge closed to vehicle traffic after officials found it unsafe for the amount of traffic it was getting, and they turned it into a pedestrian bridge (more on that another day). The KWVMB was the first through-arch bridge built in Tennessee, and it has received a number of awards for design and for being one of the top 10 best bridges in the country. In 2006, city council changed the name from Gateway to the Korean War Veterans Memorial Bridge to honor Tennesseans who fought in that war.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice bridge photograph. And the bridge looks good too. And that was the war time I was in the Army. I spent about 3 years in the Far East and that was where my photo career began.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo

Rick said...

Hey Chris, I'm so glad you're putting Music City USA on the photoblogger map! I was thinking of doing the same thing a few months ago when I stumbled upon PDP...if you need a hand lemme know.

Unknown said...

Reminds me of a small scale Sydney Bridge. A similar sort of shape.

lv2scpbk said...

Great photo.

Steve Buser said...

The bridge is very artistically done. Love your blog. Lot of color and action.
--steve buser
New Orleans Daily Photo