Saturday, January 17, 2009

Readings


Each evening during our 10-day residency, we attend readings by visiting writers and faculty members. Karen McElmurray, who is a nonfiction mentor at Murray State, read from her newest novel, Motel of the Stars. Karen is on the faculty of Georgia College and State University in Milledgeville, Georgia.

McElmurray's second novel, Motel of the Stars is the story of Jason Sanderson and Lori Llewellyn, the father and lover of Sam Sanderson, who was killed 10 years earlier during a military training exercise, and their coming to terms with Sam's death. Set in Kentucky and North Carolina, Motel of the Stars takes place in 1997 around the 10th anniversary of the Harmonic Convergence, a world-wide, mystic event marked by the aligning of the planets.

I loved the book. As I said in my review (which you can read by clicking here), there are so many layers in this book, and they all combine to make one fabulous read.

In the spirit of fair disclosure, I do want to point out that Karen in my mentor in the nonfiction program. That being said, it had no influence on whether I liked the book or not.

THREE DAYS . . . . . . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. I don't real novels but admire people who can.

Clueless in Boston said...

The book sounds interesting. I usually read light mystery and detective stories on my train ride to and from work; but occasionally like something a little denser to read.