Saturday, July 5, 2008

Let Freedom Sing Fireworks Extravaganza


Let Freedom Sing, The Music City 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular, has been called the second-best fireworks display in the country.  The Nashville Symphony performs patriotic songs while the fireworks soar over the heads of attendees.  Last year, over 100,000 people attended the festival, a day-long festival held at Riverfront Park which is on the west bank of the Cumberland River in downtown Nashville.

The all-day event starts around noon when the Family Zone and numerous food booths open to crowds of people.   At 3 PM, a live music show begins, and acts perform most of the afternoon and evening until the fireworks start.  The artists performing this year included Phil Vassar, Michael McDonald, The WannaBeatles, Barry Scott, Les Kerr and the Bayou Band, The Lost Trailers, and Max Q.
Because of our neighborhood party and because we're not too wild about fighting crowds and traffic, we found a place about 3 miles from Riverfront Park from which I could shoot some photos. About 25 other people were in the empty lot with us, and one happened to have on his car radio so we could all hear the symphony playing.  I shot about 75 photos and am sharing two shots with you.

ADDED NOTE:  Our vantage point was downwind of the fireworks, so there was a lot of smoke that blew in our direction.  I've tried to crop most of it out of these photos.

12 comments:

Ming the Merciless said...

Excellent job! The photos are spectacular.

It rained before the firework started so I went home and watched it on TV with a bar of chocolate in my hands. Lame, I know!

USelaine said...

We didn't have any fireworks here, but I think I remember seeing the music and display combination on TV some years ago. I love the pretty spray of sparks you caught.

Virginia said...

Your festival in Nashville sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing with us.

Jim Klenke said...

You got some great shots. It would have been neat to see Michael McDonald, but I hate the big crowds. Does that show how old I am?

brian stout said...

it sounds like a cool festival, but i'm with you - i like to stay a little away from the crowds and traffic =) i took my shots about 5 blocks from the town display, so i got a treeline AND some of that smoke =)

Janet said...

Hi Chris! These are fantastic fireworks photos!

Halcyon said...

Beautiful fireworks. I bet it was a good show. :)

Janet Kincaid said...

I had the same problem with mine, but am still pleased with the results. You did well, too. These are nice pictures of a fun event!

Virginia said...

After our little discussion regarding the misuse of apostrophes etc. I found this site. Hey, maybe we can contribute!
http://u2019.blogspot.com/

Steve Buser said...

I love the fireworks. THe 4h of July is one of my favorite holidays. Oops, have to go, The steaks are ready.

Lynette said...

Way to go, Chris! Great shots to share with us. Sounds like y'all were smart fireworks' viewers with a great vantage point.

Portland Oregon Daily Photo

Anonymous said...

As fotografias são lindas!