Friday, February 29, 2008

Leapin' Lizards!


Leaping' Lizards, Lady! What are you doing in that white stuff?

While I was outside shooting snowdust, my two dogs decided to check out why I had disappeared. (If you look at the reflection in the door window, you can see snow on the roof and ground across the street. ) I keep telling them curiosity killed the cat, but they need to know everything!

Decker is wearing the E-collar because the groomer accidentally clipped his skin a few weeks ago, and last week he decided to start clawing at it. I put the collar on him, but since it wasn't getting better, I ended up taking him to the vet the other day. Now he's on antibiotics (oral and cream) and the E-collar for another week or so. It's pretty funny to watch him walk around with it as he lumbers wherever he goes, and the thing just bounces along with him. Kasey has had to wear it at times, and it always freaks her out for the first day or so, and she walks around as though she were embarrassed to death.

Because it's so big, occasionally it will catch on a wall or table leg or something when they walk by. Decker will just plug on, either forcing the collar to move with him, or he turns his head enough so that it unsticks. If Kasey is wearing it and it catches, she stops and stands there as though someone had put up a blockade.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the term, E-collar is short for Elizabethan collar because it resembles the collars of dresses women wore during the Elizabethan Era. Its size prevents the animal from clawing at a sore on its face, or from chewing on a sore somewhere else on its body.

10 comments:

Mo said...

At first glance I thought we Nashville had been invaded by space dogs! Very cute! I hope he heals quickly,so he can be "sprung". Happy Friday!

Jilly said...

Ah, dear me! Isn't it amazing how dogs manage with these collars? Well most do and obviously your adorable one does. I had a Cavalier here one time and he point blank refused to move. That was funny till it got impossible. In the end I had to remove the collar to let him eat and pee, then put it back on again.

Sure he'll heal up soon.

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha ... I can see a lady I know reflected in the window...

Hope everything turns out well...

Felicia said...

If you are a dog or cat, those e-collars are so disconcerting. Hope it can come off soon!

FĂ©nix - Bostonscapes said...

Poor little darling, he must be quite annoyed. Hopefully, the groomer took care of the vet bill! Gee.

Southern Heart said...

He's a cutie! I hope that he heals quickly, as I'm sure that collar feels very annoying to him!

BTW, I loved your snow photo. I wish that we would get even a flurry...

Uma por Dia said...

:)

brian stout said...

poor thing! i bet he is embarrassed! nice photo....

Ming the Merciless said...

Poor Decker! I have seen many dogs wearing these satelite cones and they look so clumsy and unhappy in them.

I hope his wound heals quickly and he gets to lick himself again. :-)

Wayne said...

My heart goes out to Decker. Necessary as it is... that collar is just WRONG! :D