Monday, November 19, 2007

Westhaven


Since I showed you an abandoned home yesterday, I thought I would show you Westhaven today. Located in Franklin, Westhaven is a 1500-acre master-planned community of single-family homes, mini mansions, condos, duplexes and townhomes. The community has five, separate neighborhoods, each with its own neighborhood center - a common area open for public use.

Modeled after the small-town neighborhoods of yesterday, Westhaven has tree-lined streets, sidewalks, parks a golf club, tennis courts, and more. In addition, the town center (currently under construction) will house doctors' offices, a bank, stores, cafes, condos and more, all within walking distance of the homes.

The homes on both sides of the street shown above face a beautiful greenspace down the middle of the boulevard. The homes in the photo are mostly duplexes, while the homes on the side of the street that you don't see are stand-alone homes. All garages in this subdivision are behind the homes, and the individual yards - both front and back - are relatively small. Prices start in the low $400,000s and top $1,000,000.

The more than 2500 homes in Westhaven sit on what was once farmland. Westhaven is about 16 miles south of downtown Nashville.


7 comments:

Wayne said...

I'm sorry to see more farmland get rolled under the wheels of progress. I grudgingly submit that the developments are at least a little better than what was being created in the not too distant past. And yes, people do have to live somewhere, don't we? It sounds like a real nice place, all in all.
Thanks,
Wayne

Ann (MobayDP) said...

Congrats on passing your 100th post!

This really does seems like a very nice area in which to live.

Isadora said...

LOVELY community - but I bet the farm was beautiful at one time too.

Anonymous said...

The development you showed today is probably a better development and use of land than 99% of developments. Most are just sprawled out everywhere. I saw a place like your Westhaven in Florida and it was marvelous. Smaller homes but all had front porches, no cars allowed on streets that were narrow and bricked, but sidewalks inviting strolling. And local stores served each group of homes. It was marvelous.

quintarantino said...

It´s a pity a farmland was destroyed for this purpose but, even so, seems the houses and surroundings are nice.

Chris said...

Wayne, I agree, although, as I've mentioned, I live on what was once cattle pasture.

Ann- Thank you! And, yes, this area is very nice, and Westhaven is especially beautiful.

Izzy - The community is beautiful, and if we were in the market to move, I'd look there. However, the farmland was beautiful, too (as I remember it). One of the owners came into my store before I closed because he was going to scrapbook what the farm looked like before they sold. He told me that he and his siblings held onto part of the property, so that's good.

Abe - I think developers all over are using Seaside as a model for similar developments. I laugh because 20-30 years ago, everyone wanted to get away from that "Main Street America" thing. . . .big malls. . .suburban houses with huge yards. . . .Now, we're going full circle!

Quint - Itis sad that we decimate so much beauty in this country in the name of development. Some of it is necessary, but some of it is rather unnecessary.

Isadora said...

:) You know, we live long enough and we'll see circles time and again. Do you wish you kept your clothes from the teen years? I do! The same cut suits are coming back in that I enjoyed when I was 16. Sad part is, it would not look the same on me - and yet, I don't feel much different :)