Sunday, December 16, 2007

Light Show


The trees and shrubs outside the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center are not the only things decorated for the holiday season. Strings of lights, huge lighted ornaments and snowflakes (right) hang from the ceiling in the atriums, too.

And, yes, there are a number of atriums in the hotel. In addition to more than 2,880 guest rooms, there are nine acres of indoor gardens, a 44-ft. waterfall, a delta, complete with flatboats from which one can take "tour" the hotel, and the requisite shops and restaurants . If you listen to WSM radio (Home of the Grand Ol' Opry), you might remember that it broadcasts from the hotel.

10 comments:

Bob Crowe said...

I once went to a professional conference at Opryland in late fall, whan all the Christmas decoration was up. It was mind-boggling, both for the great number of complex displays and the sheer size of the place. I needed a map and more than 10 minutes walk to get from the front desk to my room. It was amusing to see the busloads of proverbial blue-haired ladies gasping with excitement over the dioramas.

Jilly said...

Oh my goodness. it must be really warm under all those lights. Great shot, Chris.

Jim Klenke said...

Thats a lot of lights, very nice.

Curly said...

Incredible show!

from South Shields Daily Photo

lv2scpbk said...

You've been capturing the lighting wonderfully.

Ming the Merciless said...

Ahh...I stayed at that hotel once for a conference. It's such a lovely place. They did a great job with the Christmas decoration.

Debbie said...

Our little town is usually adorned with lights up and down every street, this year was kind of a ruin though when we got hit with such a horrible wind storm and flooding. We always have a Festival of Lights celebration, but it was cancelled this year. I have pictures of the aftermath of the storm, hopefully next year I will have pictures of our town all lit up too.

Wayne said...

Wow, Chris, you did a great job of capturing an amazing and vast scene. What a wonderful place to visit. I mean, all I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW...

quintarantino said...

Sorry Chris, but this photo can only take one word out of my mouth: wow!!!!
Well two: Well done.
And another one: beautiful.

Post Scriptum: como vai a minha amiga?

Anonymous said...

What is a "well-behaved woman?" I keep reading that and try to imagine what it really means. Oh well. I came to thank you for your visits to my place and then to say I like your Opryland pictures.