Monday, December 15, 2008

The Big 3-0



"Mommy."  Quite possibly the 
first word a little boy will say . . . 
the beginning of a lifelong conversation 
with his mother.  In between childhood and 
adulthood, many words will pass between 
a mother and a son, some in love, 
some in anger, some in sadness, 
and others in joy. . . It's in a mother's 
eyes that a son will remain 
forever young . . . and forever cherished.
                                         ~ Jill Morgan

Today is my son's 30th birthday.  I have no
 idea where the past 30 years have gone.   (I also can't figure out how I can be old enough to have a child who is 30-years old!)
It seems like only yesterday that we brought him home from The Ohio State University Hospital.   He was born five weeks late (It was not a counting mistake.), and even during delivery, we had a few problems and could have lost him.  Through the good care of my doctor (Donald K Bryan), Jason safely entered this world at 4:23 PM EST on 12/15/78.  He has always been a precious jewel to us (That's not something one normally says about a male!).  He has always been very smart and creative and fun and funny and sensitive and intuitive and responsible.  He is an artist.  He loves dogs.  He loves music and plays guitar.  He was a great kid and is an even greater man.

He thinks he is very different from us, but he doesn't realize how similar he is.  That's okay.  As he ages, he'll see the similarities.  I know that we always thought we were very different from our parents, but as we got older, we saw how much we are our parents.

Like every mother, I wish he were still a baby and that 
I could hold him in my arms for a few more minutes.  Like every mother, I wish he lived closer.  Like every mother, I could never put in words the depth of the love that I feel for my child.

So, Jason, HAPPY BIRTHDAY.  In our eyes, you will remain forever young and forever cherished.  We love you.

(Photos:  Top - Jason opened his birthday present when we were in Florida last week.  Top left - The day we brought him home from the hospital.  Top right - Jason at one month.  Bottom left - Jason and Dad on Christmas, 1979.  Bottom right - Jason and us after his induction in National Honor Society.)

4 comments:

Nina said...

Very nice - I know exactly how you feel - my 2 boys will be 30 and 32 in Jan and Feb. What a trip it's been and still is. I still feel every little pain and every little joy as though they were still 2 yr. old or whatever . . . yes, and I imagine he got his creativity from his mom.

LC said...

Great blog! I have a son who will soon be 30 and I couldn't be prouder of him. I know just how you feel.

Lynette said...

Splendid, splendid post. Thank you for sharing it with us. My two sons, 33 and 30, fill me with much the same wonderful emotions.

Ming the Merciless said...

What a beautiful birthday message for your son.