Thursday, March 19, 2009

Dancing Through Another Year

My birthday!
What a different
sound that word
had in my youthful years. . .
~ Thomas Moore

I don't like this business of getting older. Sometimes I lie about my age, usually subtracting a year or two or ten, and sometimes (but not often) adding a year. Most days, however, I just avoid the subject completely. I've come to the conclusion, however, that there are a lot of good things about celebrating birthdays. For one thing, celebrating a birthday is better than the alternative. In addition, each year brings me thousands of experiences in thousands of places with thousands of people. Through them all, I've learned thousands of things. So, today I'll dance through this first day of Spring and celebrate another milestone while happily looking forward to more experiences, adventures and friends.

The photo: This is one of my favorite photos of my late mother and me. I was about three or four months old, and she was 32. Mom passed 3.5 years ago, and while she drove me crazy at times (as I'm sure I did her), I still miss her.

PS. Yes. Yes. Yes. I know that the calendars say the first day of Spring is tomorrow. They're all wrong. March 19 HAS to be the first day of Spring as I would *never* have been born in winter!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Chris!

Janet said...

Happy Birthday!

Hilda said...

LOL! at that P.S.!

Happy birthday, Chris! May you be blessed with many more years filled with joy and laughter!

Halcyon said...

Happy Birthday Chris!!!

I hope you have many more... and it's ok to stay 29.99999 for the rest of your life. :D

D said...

Happy Happy Birthday, Chris!
and many more :)